Welcome to Ratelle PTC
Welcome to the Sylvie Ratelle STD/HIV Prevention Training Center (Ratelle PTC). Since 1995, the Ratelle PTC has been providing cutting-edge training to practicing clinicians in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of STDs and the prevention of HIV.
Our course offerings provide opportunities for didactic and experiential training in a number of different formats for the busy health care professional. Whether you are a brand new clinician in practice, or a seasoned professional looking to brush up on your STD diagnosis and treatment skills, the Ratelle PTC offers training to meet your needs and schedule.
Training for 2018
If you see a course that fits your schedule, click the "Apply Now" button.
We offer STD Clinical Intensive courses in Boston. MA and in Hartford, CT. Our trainings are intended for clinicians who are currently in practice, primarily those who perform physical exams and manage/treat sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in men and women.
Courses held in Boston are 2.5 days. Days 1 and 2 are case discussions/lectures and laboratory held at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and the Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory (MASPHL). This is followed by a 1/2 day of clinical shadowing at the MGH Genitourinary Infectious Disease (GID) clinic. Clinic days are scheduled based on the availability of clinic staff.
Courses held in Hartford are 2 days. Courses are held at the Burgdorf Health Center (City of Hartford Health Department). Day 1 ia case discussions/lectures and laboratory; day 2 is a full day of clinical shadowing in the Infectious Disease Clinic. Clinical days are scheduled based on the availability of clinic staff.
We recieve many applications for our courses. Participants are selected based on practice setting and clinical responsibilities. Courses are small groups to allow for an interactive, experiential training opportunity for qualified applicants.
2015 CDC STD Treatment Guidelines Mobile Apps
Have the 2015 CDC STD Treatment Guidelines always at your fingertips. Dowload the app onto your mobile device! The Android and Apple versions now have the ability to receive Push Notifications that can be used to alert the user to new versions of the app or other updates. Both versions have the ability to share info about the app with colleagues via Facebook, Twitter, email and text. Download at 2015 STD Treatment Guidelines
The Sylvie Ratelle STD/HIV Prevention Training Center is proud to be a part of the STD Clinical Consultation Network, providing STD Clinical Consultation Services to healthcare providers in the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Florida. To request a consult, go to www.stdccn.org
April is STD Awareness Month!
This year, CDC's efforts focus on the relationship between healthcare providers and patients with the 2018 theme: Treat Me Right.
For providers, ‘Treat Me Right’ is an opportunity to ensure that they have the needed tools to properly detect and treat infections. It also, however, presents an opportunity to share resources about how to build door-to-door trust with patients that extends from the waiting room to the exam room, as well as how to engage with patients in a way that makes them feel heard and respected.
This year’s theme also opens the door to encourage patients to learn about STDs and STD prevention, but just as importantly, to empower them to ask their provider what they can do – and how they can work together – to stay safe and healthy.
Click on this link to reach the STD Awareness page on the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/std/sam/index.htm
2018 Update on STD Management: Practical Approaches to the Most Common STD Clinic Patient Concerns : one hour webinars specifically designed for Florida STD Clinic Clinicians
- 1/16/18 Archived Webinar: Vaginitis: Updates on Bacterial Vaginosis, Yeast Vaginitis, Trichomoniasis This webinar (originally broadcast on January 16, 2018) is now available at http://courses.cme.uab.edu/mod/lesson/view.php?id=2169 Presenter: Katherine Hsu, MD, MPH
- 2/20/2018 Archived Weninar: Cervicitis/PID: Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, M. genitalium This webinar (originally broadcast on February 20, 2018 is now available at http://courses.cme.uab.edu/mod/lesson/view.php?id=2262 Presenter: Candice McNeil, MD, MPH
- 3/20/18 Archived Webinar: Motivational Interviewing for STI/HIV Prevention Helping Clients Change. This webinar (originally broadcast on March 20, 2018) is now available at http://courses.cme.uab.edu/mod/lesson/view.php?id=2234 Presenter: Thomas Creger, PhD
Important News from CDC about Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea
The emerging threat of drug-resistant gonorrhea continues to be a concern. CDC recently released its report Antibiotic Use in the United States, 2017: Progress and Opportunities, which includes a fact sheet titled Improving Antibiotic Use to Treat Gonorrhea. Additionally, CDC developed a video that illustrates gonorrhea’s history of overpowering the drugs used to treat it and why we can’t allow it to become untreatable. If you are interested in staying up-to-date on this topic, please consider subscribing to CDC's drug-resistant gonorrhea mailing list.
National STD Curriculum
The National STD Curriculum is a free educational Web site from the University of Washington STD Prevention Training Center and the University of Washington. This project is funded by a grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The National STD Curriculum addresses the epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, management, and prevention of STDs.
Free CME credit and free CNE credit are offered throughout the site: https://www.std.uw.edu
- 04/24 : Pregnancy and STIs : A one hour webinar specifically designed for Florida STD clinic clinicians - Boston, Massachusetts
- 04/25 : STD Clinical Intensive _April_2018 - Hartford, Connecticut
- 05/14 : STD Clinical Update_May_2018 - Boston, Massachusetts
- 06/20 : STD Clinical Intensive_June_2018 - Hartford, Connecticut
- 08/13 : STD Clinical Intensive_August_2018 - Hartford, Connecticut
- 09/24 : STD Clinical Update_September_2018 - Boston, Massachusetts
- 10/22 : STD Clinical Intensive_October_2018 - Hartford, Connecticut
- 11/05 : STD Clinical Intensive _November_2018 - Boston, Massachusetts
- 12/10 : Advanced STD Intensive Course for ID Fellows - Boston, Massachusetts